Significance Labs builds technology & tools for the 25 million American families living on under $25,000 a year.
Experienced UX/UI/Visual designer?
Apply to join a Significance Team
How it works
Here’s your chance to build a product that makes a real difference.
Join a Significant Team, comprised of experienced entrepreneurs and developers, working on an opportunity for low-income Americans that resonates with you.
Over 10 weeks, develop prototypes and test ideas with our community partners, and produce an MVP with real world user-traction.
In August 2014, pitch your product at a demo day attended by leading VCs and investors. If it’s successful, you’ll have the runway to grow your idea.
Your Significant Teammates
Five entrepreneurs were recently selected to join Significance Labs.
They come from Facebook, LinkedIn, YCombinator, Fast Company and have built and sold three businesses. They’re pretty talented.
They have just started their fellowship and are starting to learn more about low-income user groups - working moms, new immigrants, community college students. You’d be joining one of their teams.
Here are just a sampling of ideas that have come up so far:
- Could behavioral economics inform the design of credit union savings products that target families living paycheck to paycheck?
- Could innovative service models (on-demand, marketplace-based) help low-income parents respond to unpredictable needs for childcare?
- Could a text message registration system for student loans radically reduce application drop-offs?
- Could mobile technology be used to make the parole system cheaper, more effective, and more just?
Who You Are
- You’re an experienced UX and visual designer: ideally you’ve been on teams that have built products from scratch.
- You know how to design prototypes to test specific features, and you enjoy fast turnaround environments.
- You have a good visual sense, but you don’t need to be pixel perfect the first time around.
- Ideally you have experience designing for mobile.
What you get
- Work with your team from our space in downtown Brooklyn at the Blue Ridge Foundation.
- Expert engineers, entrepreneurs, ethnographers, sociologists, and leaders in the field of UI/UX as mentors
- An basic honorarium to pay your rent and bills - Learn more about our approach
This design challenge runs from end of June through August 15th. It requires at least half-time commitment. We’re looking for up to 4 designers to join our teams.
We will be accepting applications for Designers on a rolling basis. You can also e-mail us at [email protected] if you have questions.